This week’s topic is “How to work effectively with designers”. We will be speaking with WordPress Developers and Designers to share some tips with working effectively with designers. We think that Designers and Developers will surely get something out of this discussion.
Working with a designer can be a challenge for clients and engineers. You want an experience where customers are engaged on your site.
How do nondesigners work with designers?
- Having the developer ask questions. Communication is key for wireframing and design. How should they hand over files to the developers? Do they want CSS callouts? Do they want the whole structure?
- Plan that out ahead of time.
- Plan and communicate. Wireframes are key but communication is more important. Explain WHO the market is for the site. Make sure you’re meeting the needs of the target audience.
- Establish how you want your photoshop files delivered. Decide what you want open and what you want flattened. What other pieces you need such as fonts.
Tips for starting with a new designer:
- Ask what their process is.
- Ask questions of the developer. Especially if the dev isn’t giving feedback.
- Designers, if you have a question? Ask your developers what they see the end result to be.
- Utilize phone calls or a google hangout. It works better than email.
- How do designers handle clients that say, “That’s not right but I’ll know it when I see it.”
- If after a round or 2 they still don’t “see it,” ask them to provide you with examples they do like around the web. It’s ok to eventually say “maybe we’re not a good fit” and end the relationship.
Tips for clients looking at designers:
- Tell them what your ultimate goal is for your website
- What are you hoping to accomplish with your site? New leads? New customers? Do you have a logo? Do you have branding ready? Are you ok with the designer establishing that for you?
- Have your content ready. If it’s not, be up front about that.
- Offer the designer info about what you don’t like. Hate a color? Hate a design? Let them know.
Leave a Reply